When purchasing a home, many of us tend to stick with the previous water heating system. However, after a lengthy lifetime of service, even with many repairs, your water heater gets worn out. It is time to buy a more efficient one to avoid the cold morning showers. But before purchasing a brand-new water heater, you need to identify your household needs and familiarize yourself with the many choices available in today’s market for a better understanding of your vast options. Here are some guidelines that will help determine the best water heater appliance for your needs.
Before digging into the criteria of choosing the right Hot Water Heaters for your home, let’s take a look at the types of water heaters available.
The major types of water heaters
- Tankless / Demand / “Instantaneous” water heaters – These water heaters instantly heat water flowing through the device. Apart from what is in the heat exchanger coil, they don’t retain any water internally.
- Conventional Storage water heaters – they consist of cylindrical containers that keep water continuously hot and ready for use.
- Electric heat pump water heaters – relies on electrical heating elements
- Solar water heaters – use the sun’s heat power to warm water.
For more information about the types of hot water heaters and their installation procedures visit SmarterHouse.
What to consider when selecting hot water heaters
Your household hot water needs go hand-in-hand with the size of the water heater in place. Seek advice from a qualified contractor for proper sizing combinations for your water and space heating systems. They included heat pump systems, tankless coil, and indirect water heaters. Your contractor will first carry a home inspection to determine if your chosen type is a perfect fit for your home’s physical space. Keep in mind that a wrong size will lead to poor energy efficiency at the same time won’t meet your household needs.
2. Cost and Energy Efficiency
When buying a water heating system, it’s good to consider the long-term operational costs at the same time the buying price. Settling for a water heater that has the Energy Efficiency star seal is an economical choice. Such water heaters are environmentally friendly and save you a lot of operational costs.
3. Availability and Warranty
Is the water heater type available within your reach as well as its fueling system? It is better to settle for an efficient water heating system that will not only cost you less but is locally available. It is also best to check if there is a warranty in case you are not satisfied with the product’s performance. Go for brands that have high ratings and good customer services.
4. DIY or requires a contractor
When choosing a water heater, you might want to consider its installation requirements. Does it need a professional installation or can you do it yourself? Overall, however most water heaters require a qualified contractor’s installation.
The top 2016 water heaters you might want to consider buying
- Rheem EcoSense Natural Gas Tankless Water Heater – Best gas hot water heater brand with four options for your selection. A bit pricey but proves to be efficient and durable.
- GE GeoSpring Hybrid: favorite tankless water heater brand.
- Reliance 12 50 EART electric water heater: its heating elements last longer than conventional heating elements.
- The U.S. Craftmaster NEE3J50HD: an electric hot water heater that allows you to change settings via its touchscreen controls.
- The AO Smith Vertex GPHE-50: occupy little floor space but quite taller than standard models.
If you are interested in a hot water heater, contact Russell & Lemay today!